Saturday, November 26, 2011

Stories from the kids table...

Every Thanksgiving the adults in my extended family sit at the big dining room table while the kids sit at the smaller kitchen table. We don't mind. Because the adults can't see us we can pull off some awesome shenanigans. This year I asked my brother and cousins to think of a noteworthy story for this blog. We couldn't remember one that stood out from the others, so here is our list of memorable moments:
  • When I was little (and evil) I would ask my brother "Hey David, wouldn't it be cool if_____?". He would then proceed to do _____, and I would get in just as much trouble as he did because I was a bad influence on him. These _____'s included my brother shooting a squirt gun up his nose and hitting a ketchup packet with a hammer.
  • At my cabin, while out on a kids-only fishing trip, we were boating back home as the sun was setting, when... One of my cousins made a bet with his twin brother that he could hit a ski bouy with a sunfish as the boat was moving past it. He grabbed a little sunfish out of the live net, took aim, and sent the poor little fish flying towards its target. The fish hit the bouy, then to our surprise it bounced back towards us with alarming speed. It hit my cousin Stephanie, and she shrieked. We laughed our heads off as the fish flopped around in the bottom of the boat. We decided that it had earned its freedom, so we tossed it into the lake and it swam away very quickly.
  • The night before April Fool's Day, my brother and I snuck around the house putting tape around sink faucets so that the water would spray out horizontally at an unsuspecting victim. In the morning we found out that that victim had been our mom, who had been sprayed several times at different sinks.
  • My cousin's golden retriever, Sophie, was a fluffy cream colored runt when they bought her. She was so small that we dressed her up in Build-a-Bear outfits!
  • At my house, hide-and-seek is a hard core game. My brother has hidden pressed against the cieling beams in the basement, I have sandwiched myself into a linnen closet, and my little cousins have found containers and cupboards that they can squeeze into. In my living room, there is a decorative chest that we keep blankets in. My brother took out the blankets, folded himself into the chest, and shut the lid, but as the lid closed the latch swung shut, trapping him inside of a ridiculously tiny space! He thought that I was sitting on top of the chest (really, David?), so he panicked and broke the latch in his escape. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment